The GSMA today announced that it has elected new members of the GSMA Board of Directors for a two-year term beginning 1st January 2023 through 31 December 2024.
The GSMA Board has also announced that José María Álvarez-Pallete López CEO of Telefónica Group, will continue to be the Chair at the GSMA, and elected Gopal Vittal, CEO of Bharti Airtel Group as Deputy Chair.
As GSMA Chair, José María Álvarez-Pallete López will oversee the strategic direction of the organisation, which represents the world’s mobile operators and companies in the broader mobile ecosystem.
Commenting on the same, GSMA Director General, Mats Granryd, said:
The industry is at a pivotal point at the moment, and I am very excited to work with the Board as we navigate the opportunities and challenges ahead. It is more important than ever that we work together to ensure that the true potential of the mobile ecosystem benefits people, businesses and society as a whole.
We are delighted to welcome the new and re-elected Board members, and we thank the outgoing GSMA Board members for their exceptional support.
José María Álvarez-Pallete López, said:
I am honoured and pleased to be elected to serve as Chair of the GSMA at such an exciting time for the industry. I look forward to working closely with the rest of the Board, the GSMA leadership team and our entire membership to address the critical issues facing our industry and our customers.
GSMA Board Members for the 2023-2024 Term
There are 26 members of the GSMA Board. Members include senior representatives from global mobile operators as well as smaller independent operators. The GSMA Board for the 2023-2024 term includes, in alphabetical order:
- Carlos M. Jarque, Executive Director, International Relations, Government & Corporate Affairs, América Móvil Group Igal Elbaz, Senior Vice President, Network CTO, AT&T Group
- Dr. Hans Wijayasuriya, Co-Group CEO, Axiata
- Gopal Vittal, CEO, Bharti Airtel Group
- Gao Tonqing, Executive Vice President, China Mobile Communications Group
- Li Jun, Executive Vice President, China Telecom Group
- China Unicom
- Dominique Leroy, Board Member for Europe, Deutsche Telekom Group
- Hatem Dowidar, Group CEO, e& Group
- Frehiwot Tamru, CEO, Ethio Telecom
- Mats Granryd, Director General, GSMA
- Makoto Takahashi, President and Group CEO, KDDI
- Hyeonmo Ku, President & CEO, KT
- Jens Schulte-Bokum, COO, MTN Group
- Michaël Trabbia, Chief Technology & Innovation Officer, Orange Group
- Matthew Oommen, President & Member of Board of Directors, Reliance Jio
- Yuen Kuan Moon, Group CEO, Singtel
- Olayan M. Alwetaid, Group CEO, STC
- Roberto Daniel Nobile, CEO, Telecom Argentina SA
- Pietro Labriola, Group CEO and General Manager, Telecom Italia
- José María Álvarez-Pallete López, CEO, Telefónica Group
- Sigve Brekke, President and Group CEO, Telenor
- Vicki Brady, Group CEO, Telstra
- Kaan Terzioğlu, Group CEO, Veon
- Rima Qureshi, Executive Vice President and Chief Strategy Officer, Verizon
- Ahmed Essam, CEO, Vodafone UK, Vodafone